Every person is concerned about their future and chooses a course of their interest to excel in it. However, the selection of the right education is difficult. Choosing the right career is an important aspect of life. One needs to be fully aware of the course he chooses in order to make career in it.
Each field has various courses. Similarly there are various courses/diplomas in the field of Merchant navy. Diploma in Nautical Science is one of them. This article will help those students who are interested in making Merchant navy as their career. It will reveal all the details regarding the diploma.
Diploma in Nautical Science: Course Description
Diploma in Nautical Science is 1 year course. The course provides training to the candidates for the role of Navigation Officer. It prepares them for developing career in merchant navy.
- The diploma involves the basics of Marine Technical Knowledge, Safety and Prevention from fire, training on the deck, Communication Skills
- It is strictly residential.
- It is approved by Government of India and Director General of Shipping.
- Skills needed for this course are decision making ability, willingness to learn, cooperation, self-motivation, confidence etc.
- Fee structure of the course is different in different institutions.
The students who have cleared 12th and are Engineering (B.E./B. Tech.) graduates (any branch) can apply for this course. Also candidates after B.Sc. can also join it.
- Talking about educational qualifications which are required for this diploma is candidate should have cleared 12th grade or equivalent examination with, Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and English as separate subjects with a PCM (Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics) average of 60%.
- Those who wish to opt for this course after B.Sc.;minimum percentile required is generally in the range of 50-60% in final year of Degree program.
- Minimum percentage required for engineering graduates is between 50-60% marks in final year of Degree program.
Any person seeking admission in Diploma in Nautical Science should not be more than 25 years of age at the starting of the course.
The candidates interested in this course should be medically fit as per the standards set by M. S. Medical Examination Rules, 2000 or Merchant Shipping standards.
Having eyesight 6/6 in each eye without visual aids is mandatoryand the candidate should not be suffering from color blindness or night blindness.
- It enhances efficiency in the field of shipping – ship security, loading etc.
- This course helps in developing skills such as self-motivation, boosting confidence, communication etc.
- Candidates get the opportunity to serve in the field of merchant navy.
- Good salary packages
- Through Nautical Science one can become a captain of the ship.
Scope and job opportunities
There are various career paths offered in the field of Shipping. There are vast job opportunities for the candidates after diploma in Nautical Science. As the international trade is increasing with a high pace, the need of skilled professionals in merchant navy is also increasing.
After the completion of Diploma in Nautical Science, the candidate can become a training cadet by appearing for exam. Once he gets qualified for the training, he has to spend 18 months of sea service. After the completion of this training period, he is eligible to appear for 2nd Mate Exam. Clearance in this exam will lead him to become 2nd officer.
As soon as he becomes 2nd officer, he has to gain further sea service and appear for more advanced tests. Based on his performance, he can move to higher ranks and become Chief Officer. With good work performance, dedication towards work and successful accomplishment of duties he can become a Captain too. Starting salary package is generally 20-30K per month. This figure will increase with the promotion. How much you earn also depends on your profile?