Like every year, this year world environment day will commemorate on 5th June. The initiative is taken by United Nations to celebrate this day to spread awareness among the people and encourage them to take some actions to protect the environment. Every year the campaign is raised with some environmental issues such as global warming, marine pollution, human overpopulation etc.
Theme of World Environment Day 2018
The theme each world environment day is set by United Nations that focus attention on some environment issues. The theme for 2018 is “Beat Plastic Pollution”.
India Hosting World Environment Day 2018
India will be hosting the global world environment celebrations on June 5th 2018. Government, industries, communities and individuals will be urging to come together and look for the alternatives to reduce the plastic pollution that is polluting our oceans, damaging marine creatures and also threatening physical condition of the humans.
Everyone around the world will be asked to take pledge to keep the environment clean and make the environment greener. India has shown great leadership on climate change and now emerging as one of the leading recycling rates in the world. Now India will be taking action on this new initiative i.e. to beat plastic pollution. Making people aware about their social responsibility i.e. to protect earth is the goal of celebrating this day.
Plastic Pollution Facts
Here are some of the plastic pollution facts:
- Every year the world uses up to 5 trillion plastic bags
- Each year, at least 13 million tones of plastic end up in the oceans, the equivalent of a full garbage truck every minute.
- In the last few years, we produced more plastic than in the whole last decade, around 45 percent of the plastic we use is either single-use or disposable
- We buy 1 million plastic bottles every minute
- Plastic makes up 10% of all of the waste we generate
What can we do?
There are many ways to reduce plastic pollution. Everyone can come forward and help keeping environment clean. Your little contribution can make a big difference. Here are some steps that you can take:
- Reduce Use of Single-Use Plastics
- Participate in campaigns such as beach cleaning, society cleaning etc.
- Support municipal authorities to impose ban on plastic containers and bottles
- Spread the word and encourage your family, friends to stop using plastic
- Say no to straws instead use glasses to drink
- Stop using plastic face packs
- Always carry canvas bags, instead of asking for plastic bags for household items
- Invest in a stainless steel razor
- Avoid plastic toys, instead buy wooden, plush, clay, rubber toys