Whoopi Goldberg said, “When I forget how talented God is, I look to the sea.” Many a filmmakers from all across the globe have tried to capture the beauty and serenity of the sea in their movies. There are many a incidents that happen on sea and these incidents have inspired filmmakers to make movies. Here’s a list of 5 films which capture on camera real life incidents at sea and along with its enthralling beauty.
- Titanic: One of the most romantic movies of all times, it also one of the most beautifully shot. It showcases the sea in its entire splendor. The ship ‘Titanic’ is as central a character to the story as Jack and Rose. Even though the journey ends in a shipwreck, the movie is memorable. It is fictional account of the sinking of the RMS Titanic.
- Captain Phillips: Another one of Tom Hank’s stellar performances is a brave and quick witted portrayal of real life Captain Phillips. It is based on true incidents and is a tribute to Captain Richard Phillips who heroically dealt with a tough situation and helped save his crew and ship.
- Kon-Tiki: It is a historical-drama. A well made film which received both an Oscar and a Golden Globe nomination in the category of Best Foreign Language film. Watch the English version of dramatized story of Thor Heyerdahl and his Kon-Tiki expedition of 1947. It is fascinating story of passion and belief.
- Britannic: Released in 2000, it is a fictional account of the sinking of His Majesty’s Hospital Ship Britannic off the Greek island of Kea in November 1916. The film stars Edward Etterton and Amanda Ryan in the lead and makes for a fascinating tale of thrill and suspense.
- The Perfect Storm: Based on the true but sad tale of the Andrea Gail, a commercial fishing vessel that was lost at sea with all hands after being caught in the Perfect Storm of 1991. It is a disaster film which tells about the loss of life at sea.